Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Summer Flying By

Wow I can't believe I haven't written since April! The Muck Boot Banquet last mentioned was a great success, with joyful, curious, handmade-bonnet-wearing viewers tromping around in the theater of (can you believe it?) an about-to-burst springtime orchard.  You can see some picture here thanks to Mark Dannenhauer. Now that we've been enjoying the heat of summer, that feels far away, and I'm looking forward to the fall show just around the corner. Save the date- October 16-19 - when The Royal Frog Ballet will be bringing you the 7th Annual Surrealist Pumpkin Walk and Cabaret.   

My biggest news is that I've just returned from my first residency in the Masters of Fine Arts program at Vermont College of Fine Arts, and it was.... wonderful, intense, and invigorating.  I'm mostly thrilled, and a tiny bit apprehensive, to be diving back into the world of critical discourse, art theory and lots of thinking about my creative practice. During the residency, I got to meet an amazing group of students and faculty, hear lectures discussing ideas of trauma, darkness, the archive (and much more), have my work critiqued over and over again, and figure out what I would research this semester. As I embark on this journey, I'll try to blog a little more frequently to share where it is taking me.  I'm thrilled to be working with sculptor Olivia Bernard as my local artist teacher.  Below is a recent sculpture that I brought for critique. 




Other things I've been up to this summer? Teaching some welding classes....

 
Helping to facilitate a Photovoice project for Holyoke High School ELL students through the Western MA Writing Project and the ELL Summer of Power Program, and here is an awesome poster they made...


Experimenting with a line of fruit earrings that will hopefully be released this fall...


Creating candelabras and planters for sale at various shops and galleries such as Blue Gallery in Provincetown and 413 Glassworks in Cheshire. 






Last but not least, if you are interested in welding or melting glass with me, check out the list of upcoming classes on the left and get in touch!  


No comments: